Friday, September 25, 2009

How-To: Upcycled Yarn Vase

I suffer from major craft ADHD. I jump from project to project and I can't seem to complete anything because a new idea pops into my head that I just have to start. I guess this is better than crafters block (you know, like writers block) but it is turning my craft studio into a disaster zone and my supplies are starting to trickle into the rest of my home...soon they will take over the entire house! I need help before Mr. Designs by Vanessa gets buried in glitter and yarn. Hmm glitter and yarn...that would make for a great new project. See what I mean? I need a craft intervention!

As much as I would like to see Mr. Designs by Vanessa covered in glitter and yarn, I have decided to start and actually finish a project today. I have yet another fabulous tutorial for my fabulous readers on this fabulous day (I just wanted to see how many times I could use the word fabulous in a sentence). Read on my crafty friends...

You will need yarn (1 color, 2 colors, 10 colors...this is completely up to you), a bottle of some sort (think upcycling), glue (I used craft tacky glue) and scissors.


Start by squeezing a thin line of glue along the bottom of your bottle. This is an old perrier bottle but you can use old soda bottles, wine bottles, etc. You can even use old jars or containers for a different look, the possibilities are endless.


Simply place the yarn on your glue and press down to secure in place. Continue squeezing small thin lines of glue followed by placing your yarn, wrapping up and around your bottle. Make sure your yarn is wrapped closely together to prevent gaps or holes.


Keep going, don't succumb to the craft ADHD (this is mainly a pep talk to myself). You can switch yarn colors at anytime (that sorta feels like a new project), just glue the start of the new strand of yarn as close as you can get to the end of the old strand and continue gluing and wrapping.


That is it, super easy and super cute! Add a flower or find a nice shelf to plop it on for a decorative look. Woohoo, I actually completed a project today! Now if I can only bring myself to organize my craft studio...


Don't forget to add your upcycled yarn vase photos to the Designs by Vanessa Tutorial Flickr Group so we can all see your finished product!

Photobucket

14 comments:

JLR Designs said...

Cool idea - so many possibilities :)

SewSweetStitches said...

ooh I have tons of leftovers that I'd love to display like this! Imagine how cool that will look with handspun art yarn!
Thanks!

Pinecone Camp said...

That's a great idea. Congratulations on your completed project! I have so many "in process" projects all over the place. For instance, I'm looking at a half done bird house. Maybe this weekend.....

Elise said...

Dude...

Ok, you've just given me gallons of inspiration with just one blog post! Truly awesome idea, and I've got lots of cool-shaped bottles that have been waiting for a destiny!

Live, Love, Laugh, Write! said...

That's really cute! I totally get crafty ADD myself. I have so many projects I'm working on!

I can see that yarn idea working to spice up quite a few different things...mmmm... *mind goes wandering off*

BeadedTail said...

What a fun idea! I never thought of covering my husband in glitter and yarn! :D The Yarn Vase is great too!

Baroness Bijoutery said...

What a fun project...This would be a great project for a child to do as a Christmas gift for a Grandmother, Aunt or favorite Teacher...Great idea...

Nannieflash said...

Wow Vanessa, Ive not seen that done for years, Id forgotten how good it looks when its done, I used string for my last attempt, but I think your wool looks softer. Well done with love and hugs Shirleyxxxxxxx

Unknown said...

Looks fantastic! What a great idea! Have a sweet day! x

Swetha said...

thats an awesome idea!! i will try that soon!!

Patsy said...

Really cute!! Thanks for sharing!

Trucos y Astucias said...

Hello! I just published a post with a compilation of jars and flower vases DIY and yours is in it. You can check at 18 jarrones y floreros para hacer con manualidades

Thanks for your idea!

Dharna Jain said...

Thankyou so Vanessa.
I find this idea very amazing.
Keep going. :)

Dharna Jain said...

Thankyou so Vanessa.
I find this idea very amazing.
Keep going. :)

Blog Widget by LinkWithin